Rum Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk. Stir in the rum and vanilla extract.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Tap the pan gently on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, make the chocolate glaze. In a small saucepan, heat the chocolate chips and heavy cream over medium heat until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool until thickened but still pourable.
- Once the cake is completely cool, pour the chocolate glaze over the top of the cake, spreading it evenly with a spatula. Let the glaze set before slicing and serving the cake. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply