Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple slices in juice, drained
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and spread it out evenly.
- Drain the pineapple slices and pat them dry with a paper towel. Arrange the pineapple slices on top of the brown sugar mixture in the cake pan. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the granulated sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter over the pineapple and cherries in the cake pan.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, place a serving plate upside down on top of the cake pan and carefully flip the pan and plate over. The cake should slide out of the pan and onto the plate, with the pineapple and cherries on top.
- Let the cake cool completely before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply