- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 pre-made pie crust
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add the water and egg yolks and mix well.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes, until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Pour the lemon mixture into the pre-made pie crust and set aside.
- To make the meringue, in a clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites with a mixer until soft peaks form. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating until the meringue is glossy and stiff.
- Spread the meringue over the top of the lemon filling, making sure to seal the edges of the pie crust.
- Bake the pie for 15-20 minutes, or until the meringue is lightly browned.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely before slicing and serving. Enjoy!