Smoked Fish ( The Island Way)
- 1 pound fish fillets (such as salmon, trout, or halibut)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Wood chips (such as hickory, oak, or mesquite)
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Rub the mixture evenly over both sides of the fish fillets.
- Set up a smoker or grill for indirect heat. If using a grill, place a drip pan underneath the grates. If using a smoker, fill the water pan with water.
- Soak the wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the fish on the grates or in the smoker, away from the heat source. Add the soaked wood chips to the heat source according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Smoke the fish until it is opaque and flakes easily with a fork, about 1-2 hours.
- Serve the fish hot or chilled, as desired. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply