- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- In a small saucepan, combine the filling ingredients over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved and the coconut is lightly toasted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each into a ball. Flatten each ball into a circle about 4 inches in diameter. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the filling onto the center of each circle, then fold the edges up and over the filling to form a bun shape. Pinch the edges to seal.
- Place the buns on a greased baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving