- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound fresh okra, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
- Place the sliced okra in a large bowl, and pour the buttermilk over it. Stir to coat the okra well.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it reaches 375°F.
- Working in batches, dip the okra into the cornmeal mixture, coating it well. Shake off any excess coating, and carefully add the okra to the hot oil.
- Fry the okra until it is golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes per batch.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the okra from the oil, and let it drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat with the remaining okra, and serve hot.
Note: This recipe can be easily adjusted to your liking by adding more or less of the spices to suit your taste. You can also add other seasonings to the cornmeal mixture, such as dried herbs or finely grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!