Spiced Corned Beef (Island Style)
- 1 tablespoon of whole mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon of whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon of whole allspice berries
- 1 tablespoon of whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon of whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon of ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 (3-pound) corned beef brisket
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1 celery stalk, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup of water
- In a small, dry skillet, toast the coriander seeds, mustard seeds, allspice berries, peppercorns, and cloves over medium-low heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer the toasted spices to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind them until they are finely ground.
- In a small bowl, mix the ground spices together with the ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the corned beef brisket, making sure to coat it evenly on all sides.
- Place the corned beef in a large pot or Dutch oven, along with the onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, and water.
- Bring the pot to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer the corned beef for about 3 hours, or until it is tender and cooked through.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the corned beef cool in the cooking liquid.
- Once the corned beef is cool enough to handle, slice it thinly against the grain and serve it with your favorite sides. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply