Rum and raisin ice cream is a classic dessert that is easy to make at home. Here is a recipe that yields about 1 quart of ice cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, milk, sugar, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to steam.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they are smooth. Slowly pour in about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture, whisking constantly, to temper the eggs.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining cream mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the raisins and rum. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Once the mixture is cooled, transfer it to an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once the ice cream is churned, transfer it to a lidded container and freeze until it is firm, about 2-4 hours.
- Serve the rum and raisin ice cream in bowls or cones, and enjoy!