- 2 cups idly rice
- 1 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 tsp salt
- Water, as needed
- Wash the idly rice and urad dal in several changes of water until the water runs clear.
- Soak the rice and dal in separate bowls with enough water to cover them for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain the rice and dal and transfer them to a blender. Add a little water to the blender and blend the mixture into a smooth, thick batter.
- Transfer the batter to a large bowl and add the salt. Mix well.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and let the batter ferment for 8-12 hours or overnight.
- The next morning, the batter should have doubled in size and have a fermented smell.
- Heat a steamer or idly cooker. Grease the idly moulds with a little oil.
- Pour the batter into the moulds, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Place the moulds in the steamer and steam for 10-12 minutes or until the idlis are cooked and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the moulds from the steamer and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Carefully remove the idlis from the moulds and serve hot with chutney or sambar. Enjoy
Leave a Reply