- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnishes: chopped fresh herbs, croutons, grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Spread the diced butternut squash on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- In a large pot, heat a little bit of oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted butternut squash and broth to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it is smooth. Alternatively, you can let the soup cool slightly and blend it in a blender or food processor.
- Stir in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with your choice of herbs, croutons, or grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!